Thursday, May 17, 2012

Teaching myself to sew, by cheating.

   Thank god for Pinterest and craft blogs! I recently told my horder father that I was thinking about getting a sewing machine and finally learn to sew. "I have one of those!" he exclaimed. "Your mother gave you one for your birthday or Christmas a thousand (approximately) years ago and it's still here." The next time I traveled to to Minneapolis, I picked it up and brought it home.

   I'd be lying if I said I did anything other than head straight to Youtube for step by steps on how to thread a damn sewing machine, and then I took my sweet time scouring craft blogs for the beginneringly beginnerest of sewing tutorials.

   My first attempt was to turn one of my big, baggy t-shirts into a dress for my soon-to-be 5 year old daughter. It was a successful first try, in that my t-shirt was converted into a dress for my daughter; if only on the most rudimentary level. I won't bother sharing that one, as it was MOSTLY a project to get me acquainted with my machine. My next attempt, however, turned out pretty well (If I may say so myself thankyouverymuch). I followed a very well written how-to posted at Make it and Love it, the Front Tie Spring Dress.

(Note to self: Have sister-in-law teach you to work a camera that didn't come on your phone)

   Upon second viewing of my version, I clearly need to lengthen the front tie part. Look at the bow; it's all wonky and sad. I chose to lengthen the hem and add a little extra fabric in the gathering at the waist, so the dress might survive my daughter's next epic growth spurt.

   Meh, I'll post an updated pic when I fix the length on the bow.
   I also attempted to make a pattern from a pair of her leggings to make jeggings with a cute stretchy denim with a zebra print. They would have been really cute too, if they weren't waaay too slim in the thighs. Sometime, I'll get some more of that fabric and try again. Reverse-engineering clothing has a learning curve, but I'm determined.

   Next attempt will be a skirt for her, I think. And then MAYBE a skirt for me. We'll see about that, though. Not sure I feel confident enough to ruin that much material while I'm still getting the basics of my machine down.

-=CaseyCannolis

No comments:

Post a Comment